Tuesday, May 20, 2008

MAY 2008

OK, OK. I've been negligent. But, until lately, there really was no news.

The GVHD did get a little worse so LeMaistre started me on steroids. The steroids worked, but I sure don't like the side-effects (sleeplessness, puffy face, weight gain, muscle cramps, etc.). He is weening me off of them now, but it will take 6 to 8 more weeks and then it will be a few more weeks to get beyond the side-effects.

A few weeks ago my energy level started dropping, as did my blood counts. LeMaistre said he hoped it was just a natural transition between the mature stem cells Ann gave me and the new cells created by my new bone marrow. But one reading (IGG) got low enough that he wanted me to get a immunoglobulin IV (IVIG). I was sure surprised to find out it cost $30,000!

About the same time I started getting a pain in my left leg. It was like a muscle pull that started in the calf and radiated up the leg. As a precaution LeMaistre suggested a sonogram and, sure enough, there were two small blood clots in the lower calf. Other than the pain it would be no big deal ... unless one broke loose and traveled to the lungs (not good). So he put me on Coumadin pills and Lovenox injections. It must be working because I really bruise easily and bleed profusely when scratched.

The leg pain is less today, but I expect to be on Coumadin for a while. However, I get to give myself the last Lovenox injection tonight. That's good because they gave me dull needles.

Other news: Chris graduated from the Bush School and will start working for Grant Thornton in Houston June 16th. Regan will have her son (Austin?) some time between June 9th and 23rd. Nick & Kendra are happily entrenched in College Station; both working for A&M.

Thanks for checking in.

Rick

No comments: