Saturday, April 18, 2009

I haven't posted for a long time. I'm really not sure anyone is reading any more, anyway.

Since my last post...

We did go to Pinehurst. It was fun. A hurricane came within 30 miles of us, so we had to play two rounds in one day and the second round was on #2. It is always cart path only on #2, so I was really beat that night. Kitt helped a lot by fetching my golf balls when we weren't going to use my drive (every hole?). He is a good friend.

We stayed in and played poker that night while the hurricane passed.

Since then my strength and endurance has steadily increased so that I am back to pre-cancer levels now. I still battle with some GVH but that is a necessary evil - kind of proof that the new immune system is working. However, LeMaistre said it is time to do more than steroids to supress it. Most effective would be to install a port in my chest again and go through a series of procedures like dialisis but where they would run my blood under a UV light. Because it would require bi-weekly trips to San Antonio and because it would make my skin ultra-sensative to sunlight (golf is usually played in sunlight) we will try something else first. That procedure is a series of Rituxan IVs that only take half a day each and can be done in Austin.

I did find out yesterday that I need to have my gallbladder removed soon (this week??). It seems either all the chemo or the transplant has caused a stone. It may keep me out of the Member/Guest but it is much better than the pain I had a couple of weeks ago. I'll probably also miss the diving trip to Beliz I had planned for early May. There is a price to staying this side of the divot.

On a really bright note for me... Nick & Kendra are expecting a baby in October. I never thought I'd get to see my grandkids. Thanks to Dr. LeMaistre and his team I'll get to know several.

I will post again. I just don't know when.

Thanks for being my friends.

Rick

P.S. I made it to age 62 about 10 days ago. Something else I wasn't sure I'd do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

some of us still check in and see how you are doing - happy belated birthday!